ADMISSION AND ENROLMENT OF STUDENTS TO THE INSTITUTE
- Details of admission notification with intake capacity, reservation of seats etc. in any of the programme viz Certificate, Diploma, Degree Programmes, is published in the newspapers as well as Institutes website (gkciet.ac.in) in the month of March/April every year in the form of â€œInformation Brochure. However, summery of admission procedure is given in respective sub-head of different programmes.
- Seats are reserved for candidate belonging to OBC, SC, ST and Physically Handicapped candidates as per the guidelines issued by MHRD, Govt. of India and as Institute adopt it. Institute also follows the territorial based reservation policy as per guidelines issued by MHRD, Govt. of India and these are given in respective subhead of different programmes.
- The candidates have to fulfill the medical standards required for admission as set out by the Institute.
- Notwithstanding anything aforesaid, the admission of a candidate shall be subject to
- Submission of a migration/school leaving certificate from the concerned Board or University
- Good conduct certificate from the Principal of School/College last studied, and ;
- Medical fitness certificate.
GENERAL RULES & REGULATIONS COMMON FOR ALL THE PROGRAMMES
- If, at any time after admission, it is found that a candidate has not fulfilled all the requirements stipulated in the offer of admission, the head of the Institute may revoke the admission of the candidate.
- The Institute reserves the right to cancel the admission of any student and ask him/her to discontinue his/her studies at any stage of his/her career on the grounds of unsatisfactory academic performance or on disciplinary grounds. The criteria for academic performance will be governed by the Academic Rules and Regulations, while the criteria for disciplinary grounds will be governed by the Rules and Regulations stipulated for Conduct of Students as adopted by the Institute.
The modular structure of UG curriculum at GKCIET, Malda consists of three independent modules in Engineering & Technology stream as given below:
- Certificate Module
- Diploma Module
- Degree Module (B.Tech.)
Duration of a Module
Under normal circumstances, a student is expected to complete the requirements of a module in two (2) academic years for Certificate and Diploma Module. It is two (2) years for the vertical entrants, and three (3) years for the lateral entrants including one (1) year bridge course, in Degree Module of Technology.Â However, academically weak and deficient students, who are unable to pass in the required number of courses in normal duration, may be allowed a maximum of additional two (2) years including the withdrawal period.
Reservation of seats*
Seats to which reservation apply: *Reservation will be as per latest guidelines issued by the Government of India from time to time.
Seats meant for Certificate Courses and Diploma Courses are bifurcated for the candidates of the State of West Bengal and for the candidates belonging to other States, respectively in the following proportion:
Quota for West Bengal – 75%
Quota for Other States and U.T – 25%
Quota for West Bengal – 50%
Quota for Other States and U.T- 50%
For Degree Programmes, there is no such territorial quota.
Rules for Operating Reservation:
- i) Candidate passing qualifying examination from the Schools / Institutes falling in West Bengal State will be eligible for reservation marked for West Bengal State and all others Indian National will be eligible to claim reservation for Other States & U.T. for admission to Certificate/Diploma Programmes. To avail the reservations under Territorial quota candidate have to produce a domicile certificate from competent authority at the time of admission.
- ii) Seats remaining vacant in OBC category will be offered to general category, as per instructions of Govt. of India as may be applicable from time to time. For applying to avail reservation under OBC category, the candidates will be required to submit adequate proof/certificate, issued by the competent authority as may be prescribed from time to time in evidence of his/her not belonging to creamy layer. The criteria of creamy layer will be applied as may be prescribed by the Govt. of India from time to time. The above proof/certificate should pertain to the year just preceding the year of GKCIET Entrance Test (GKCIET-ET) Examination.
- iii) For claiming seats reserved for Physically Handicapped candidates, the minimum degree of disability should be 40%. Seats falling to the share of Physically Handicapped candidates in various branches are inter changeable depending upon the availability/suitability of candidates. However, in any branch (as well as in the total seats meant for direct entry) number of seats will not exceed the prescribed quota of 3%. To claim reservation under Physically Handicapped candidates category, the candidate is required to submit a certificate from the Chief Medical Officer of the district concerned clearly mentioning about the extent/degree of disability. The admission to this category will be governed by the rules of Govt. of India as may be applicable from time to time. The decision of admission committee, regarding the suitability of a candidate for a particular branch for claiming reservation under this category, shall be final and binding on the candidates.
- iv) The seats remaining vacant in any branch due to non availability/suitability of eligible candidates belonging to physically handicapped category will be shifted to general category in that branch.